About the Collie Breed
Beautiful, intelligent, energetic, friendly and loving – these are all words used to describe the amazing Collie breed. Read on to learn more about the Collie breed!
When learning about the Collie breed you will soon learn that they make great companions due to their amazing personalities. Their main personality traits are as follows:
- They are incredibly loyal and love to spend time with their owners. A great, lifelong bond is usually formed between a Collie and their owner.
- Collies have lots of energy. Before committing to a Collie you need to make sure you will have enough time to exercise them daily.
- Collies are highly intelligent which makes them a little bit easier to train. Because of this intelligence you can teach them more complicated tricks after they have mastered the basics.
- Collies are very loving and crave attention. So, again, if you are thinking about getting a Collie you need to make sure you will have the time to give them the attention they crave and need.
- Collies are incredibly friendly so if socialized properly your Collie should get on well with everybody.
Types of Collies
There are lots of different types of Collies including:
- Shetland Sheepdogs (formally called Shetland Collie)
- Border Collie
- Bearded Collie
- Rough Collie
- Smooth Collie
The Collies Length of Life
A question a lot of people ask when learning about the Collie breed is “what is their length of life?” A Collies length of life will usually be around fourteen to sixteen years.
Housing your Collie
It is not best to own a Collie if you live in an apartment as they ideally need a bit of space due to their boundless energy. A home with a backyard where your Collie can run around would be much better. If your property does not have a lot of space then it is even more important that you exercise your Collie daily.
Exercise = Collies
As previously mentioned, one of important things about the Collie breed is that they need to be exercised daily to get rid of some of their energy. Exercising your Collie daily will also increase the bond between you and your Collie. Some ways you can exercise your Collie include:
- Going on daily walks around your local neighborhood with your Collie.
- Going to the beach with your Collie.
- Going to a local dog park. As a bonus this is also a great place to socialize your Collie.
- Taking agility classes.
- Going on runs with your Collie.
So remember, make sure your Collie does some form of exercise daily.
When learning about the Collie breed you will quickly see that they are a great breed of dog. They have a wonderful nature along with being a very-good dog. But remember, if you are thinking about adding a Collie to your family, you firstly need to make sure you will have the time to spend with your Collie. If you think you can offer this, then a Collie will make a great companion and addition to your family!